As a caregiver, you have many things to worry about. Food safety shouldn’t be one of them. When choosing a home-delivered meal provider, food safety and quality should be top priorities. Selecting a provider that uses extensive food preparation safety procedures with a safe delivery model will provide peace of mind.
Don't Break the Chain
The “cold chain” process is one of the most effective and reliable methods of assuring food safety. This process ensures that food is maintained at temperatures that prevent the growth of harmful bacteria that can make you sick.
The cold chain process transports perishable foods without using harmful preservatives and additives. This continuous cold chain ensures seniors will receive safe and healthy meals.
Here are some questions to ask when comparing home-delivered meal providers:
- Is the food prepared fresh in an USDA-inspected facility?
- Are the meals flash frozen to -19° F?
- Is the food maintained in a cold storage at -10° F until delivery?
- Is the food delivered to homes in specially-designed freezer trucks?
- Do they have specially-trained drivers unpack meals and store them in freezer until ready to eat?